Thursday, September 11, 2008

The Falling Man 5x7in



Hi Guys. Never managed to get to a computer over the last two weeks but I did manage to have a brilliant trip, paint, and get very inspired while in Cyprus.
Will post some images today and put them in some order for you.

Starting this morning with my first piece I made on my trip. I started to paint this piece on September 11th while on the plane travelling to Cyprus! I had been meaning to paint this images for a long time after seeing a documentary called 'The Falling Man' which addressed the 'Jumpers' or people who through themselves out the windows of the twin towers on September 11th 2001.

The photo the painting is based on was taken by an American journalistic photographer called Richard Drew.
This image of 'The Falling Man' had been hanging on my studio wall for about six months and I had even stretched a large elongated canvas so I could explore this haunting and to me strangely peaceful image in paint.
On the morning of my flight (the anniversary of Sept 11th) I decided that this would be a fitting day to pay homage to this image in paint.

No comments: