Friday, December 5, 2008

Thistles 5x7in

sold

Just finished this piece a couple of minute ago. This painting of a group of Thistles is the second collaborative painting I have made during this painting project. I hope to finish about 2 to 3 pieces a week during this project.

With this project my current technique is to work on mdf panels which I prime using 6 layers of grounding. Each layer is then sanded down after each coat dries. This results in a smooth, egg-shell like surface which is non-absorbent. This allows me to completely control the surface structure of the painting and to move around the paint on the surface as much as I like.
On a surface like this it is more difficult to complete a painting in one session (like the way I was creating the daily painting series). Thus, one has to paint in at least 2 or 3 layers.

The process is really time consuming but I am enjoying the results. Hope you like them.

No comments: