Friday, December 16, 2011

The East Wall Currachs Project



'Plaining the Lats!' (pic by Des Moriarty)

I know its been a couple of weeks since I last posted on the blog.
The finishing and wrapping up of my last solo show along with two other very different creative project has kept me busy! My only chance to paint over the past weeks has been at the Royal Hibernian Academy and I have really treasured those hours.

The first project in which I have been involved is a most interesting one - A Currach Boat Building Project, which is taking place at the East Wall Water Sports Centre in Dublin.

This Traditional boat building project is being lead by my great pal Mark Redden. Mark has resided in beautiful Barcelona for the past three years and works as an artist and boat builder. We met first at the age of seventeen and ended up in art college studying together and have remained wonderful and supportive friends ever since. In 2006 we lived and worked at our studios at the Mantua Art Project Centre in Roscommon, it was there in our workshop that I was first introduced to Mark's love and skill of boat building.

I am so pleased to be able to allocate the hours of work needed to see this project through and with the help of a number of dedicated and creative people including Gilda O' Laoire (Designer/ Cabinetmaker), Des Moriarty (Photographer) and Rosie O'Reilly (Fashion Designer and Founder of Re-Dress).

You can follow the evolution of this very special project on the East Wall Currachs facebook page.

Looking forward to filling you all in on this second and very exciting project of mine in the not to distant future. Until then I want to thank you all for your interest, comments and support and wish you all a very Peaceful, Happy and Joy filled Christmas and New year.

- Richard

No comments: