Sunday, December 2, 2012

Meeting Thomas Ryan and documentary at the RHA


















A couple of months ago I had the opportunity to visit the artist Thomas Ryan at his family home in north county Dublin. Thomas is a past president of the Royal Hibernian Academy PPRHA, and just last week a short video documentary which features Thomas and his studios at home was aired at a gallery in the RHA on Ely Place.

His home and studios are full of paintings which range from Still Life to Interior, Landscape and Portraiture.
One of the large rooms was literally packed with works from ceiling to floor with an adjacent store room packed to the rafters! I could have spent days working my way through all the work, but Boo was with me and Tom probably would have kicked me out at that stage anyway!























I particularly like Tom's moody interior paintings, which are little known by the general public and collectors. He would be most recognized, in a commercial sense, for his small intimate paintings of single roses, with a soft and scumbled application.


















I look forward to catching up with myself here in Thailand as regards posting on my blog, and getting to show you some of my recent paintings which have been revisiting my interest in 19th century painting, and what I learnt during my time at the Art League of New York.

If you would like to follow my journey here in Thailand via my photos you can visit my facebook page.

No comments: