Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain









































Over the past few years have I concentrated solely on the development of  my painting, and in some ways neglected my drawing in this pursuit.

Painting and drawing are, in my opinion, very different and require a shift in thinking and perception not to mention totally different handling and application.

During my school years and for the most part during college I worked specifically through drawing, rarely using any colour at all in my work. Over time then, during my travels abroad, my notebooks gradually developed from concentrated drawing into full colour finished paintings.

My tutors in college always encouraged my drawing and I used it as the foundation for the development and explorations of all my ideas for the video/sound pieces I created during that period.

So, during  a visit to the Smithsonian Museum of Art in Washington DC earlier this year I came across this book, 'Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain - a course in enhancing creativity and artistic confidence'.
I had seen this book in college years ago and decided that it was time to get back to drawing again. The book is in it's fourth edition. Have any of you ever worked through this course?

Attached are two Charcoal and Tea stain drawings I created around 1999 entitled 'Day'  and 'Night'.
The drawings are based on imagined images of Brian Keenan during his abduction and imprisonment in the Lebanon. Also, this mornings exercise from the book, to copy Picasso's drawing, ' Portrait of Igor Stravinsky'.




No comments: