Wednesday, January 1, 2014

SEPIL Commission 005 - The Prefab & Happy New Year.

















The Prefab - oil on canvas

During a visit to the Aughoose site at the Corrib Project I was asked to change into my safety gear in one of the many prefabricated temporary structures. The feeling of time held still was palpable as I looked around the small room at the workers kit slung here and there.

The scene spoke to me of a feeling of each individual, their well worn work clothes and boots, and reminded me of the wonderfully poignant Sean Keating drawing of 1926-27 entitled 'The Bunkhouse' (see below) which illustrated the tough living conditions in which the workers at Ardnacrusha found themselves in the 1920's.















So many of the project sites at Corrib are semi permanent, with much land being reconstituted as phases get completed, and I often get the feeling when on site, that even though the scale of the project is quite massive the untamed landscape that surrounds still dominates.

The painting above entitled 'The Prefab' is a work in progress.
Since starting this commissioned project I now have fifteen of these oils under construction or near completed. The project has taken up a good deal of my studio time this year but continues to be such a rewarding, interesting and developmental challenge for me.

I am sure 2014 will present even more excitement and development in all aspects of this commissioned project and am really looking forward to growing the scope of the work together with the SEPIL team in the New Year.

I am also excited to open my Solo Show at Jorgensen Fine Art, Dublin on February 6th and a return to exhibit in New York City and Connecticut in April 2014.

Wishing everyone at home and abroad a very Happy, Creative and Prosperous New Year 2014.

- Richard

Web: www.richardhearns.com 
Blog: www.richardhearnspaintings.blogspot.com

Email: info@richardhearns.com

Phone: + 353 (0)86 216 1135.

No comments: