Friday, December 4, 2015

Buoy

Often times due to my enthusiasm and admitted lack of patience I plunge ahead and post an image or even exhibit a painting before it's 'complete'! It's actually this precise act that at times leads me to want to take the painting back into my studio to work on again. 

I'm convinced seeing paintings in different environments helps one to evaluate the work anew and am sure this is the case for very many painters. In fact I've heard many artists including the renowned Frank Auerbach and Anselm Keifer admit the same when it comes to their practice so I'm sure it's all part of the process. At the same time I find it's vitality important not to brud over a piece. It's such a delicate balancing act!

On getting home after my exhibits and travel in the US this year I saw a 'way in' to a number of pieces and decided to give them more time - seeing if I might be able to improve and add further resonance to the works. It's  a curious relationship! 

It can be a curse reworking images and you must be careful, but as I mature I'm finding I have more patience and want more time in many cases to spend with my paintings and bring them to where I want them to be.

Buoy, 2015 - oil on panel 12"x12"
























#art #painting #stilllife #richardhearns #studio #frankauerbach #anselmkeifer 

No comments: